Shopping vegan can be tricky, but it doesn't have to be. Here are some tips for how you can shop for vegan-friendly products at any grocery store:
- Become familiar with food labels: One of the best ways to make sure you're buying vegan food is to read food labels carefully. Animal product ingredients like milk, eggs and honey can often be found hidden in processed foods or preservatives so it's important to check!
- Stock up on plant-based staples: Keeping your pantry stocked with basic ingredients such as beans, lentils, grains and nuts will make preparing meals easier and more convenient while you're transitioning into a vegan lifestyle.
- Don't forget about herbs & spices: Using herbs and spices is an easy way to add flavor without relying on animal products. Find out which ones work best with different types of dishes and experiment until you find what works for you!
- Look for plant milks & egg substitutes: Plant milks such as almond, oat or soy are great alternatives for cow’s milk and there are also numerous egg substitutes on the market now that work great in baking recipes.
- Find the meat & cheese alternatives section: Most stores will devote a part of their refrigerated section specifically for non-dairy cheeses, veggie burgers and other mock meats so take advantage of this if available.
- Make friends with produce! Fresh fruits, vegetables and leafy greens contain all the vitamins and minerals your body needs while offering endless options when it comes to creating delicious vegan meals. Don't overlook frozen veggies either - they offer just as many benefits as fresh!
You don't have to feel limited when shopping vegan - simply search around a bit more carefully than usual and you'll find plenty of options available!